AAUW Texas is in support of AAUW Louisiana in our efforts to ratify the ERA. As you may already know, Louisiana is one of the states that have yet to ratify the ERA.
At this point, legislation in support of the ERA is sitting in the Judiciary Committee. According to what I’ve been told, we need more co-sponsors for the bills to get out of committee before the year is out.
As a result, we are hosting an ERA Day of Action, (Twitter Storm preferably), to ask Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to co-sponsor the bills. We think it should already be in sponsorship of the bills! These bills will essentially extend the time period to ratify the ERA in perpetuity. All we need is 3 more states!!!
All of this, is to be done on July 25 (next Friday) from 12p – 1p CT. It would be great if we had people tweet for the entire hour.
To Join In:
I. Call-In Day
On Friday, July 25, call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202.224.3121, and ask to be connected to your U.S. Representative and Senators. You can also look up your Representatives’ and Senators’ contact information by visiting the U.S. House of Representatives’ website (http://1.usa.gov/1mBKrLu). Or, the U.S. Senate website (http://1.usa.gov/KxiTHC).
Please speak with or leave the following message on the voicemail of the U. S. Representative’s or Senator’s Legislative Director:
My name is _________________________, and I am calling on behalf of AAUW of __________ (or your organization) and the United 4 Equality national coalition. We are calling to request Representative/Senator ______________________ become a co-sponsor of the Joint Resolutions (HJ Res 113 and SJ Res 15) to remove the deadline for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA). These resolutions were re-introduced in Congress and are sponsored by Representative Jackie Speier (D-CA) in the House and Senators Benjamin Cardin (D-MD) and Mark Kirk (R-IL) in the Senate.
The ERA resolutions will:
- Eliminate the 1982 ratification time limit, so that a path to equality exists in perpetuity.
- Affirm that only three more states are required for the ERA to become the 28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
We hope that Representative/Senator _______________________ will give earnest consideration to accepting our request to serve as a co-sponsor of this critical legislation.
Please call or e-mail me at #: __________________ or E-mail: ________________ with your answer.
(Close out the call, and thank them for their time.)
Please e-mail the results of your Congressional phone calls to Camille Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org, AAUW of Louisiana Public Policy Chair and United 4 Equality Louisiana State Coordinator, for tracking purposes.
Thank you for joining the movement for equality. Together we can empower one another to pass HJ Res 113 and SJ Res 15 this year!
II. ERA Twitter Storm:
- Create a Twitter account, it’s easy! (Contact Melodía for assistance in setting up your account: email@example.com)
- Find your Representative on Twitter and Sen. Feinstein, whose handle is listed below. A simple Google search will bring up your target. (EX. Enter “Rep. Pelosi twitter” into Google search box and information will appear).
- Be online between the hours of 12 pm-1pm CT on Friday, July 25.
- Take 10 minutes to call, tweet or post on Facebook and ask our targets to co-sponsor HJ Res 113 and SJ Res 15 using the information listed below!
- Tweet targeted Senators and Representatives (listed below).
- Use a variation of the below tweets. Please e-mail us to suggest a tweet!
- Don’t forget hashtags! Tweet one another when possible!
- Have a good time and follow up!
Target and Twitter Handle:
- Diane Feinstein @SenFeinstein (CA)
- Also please contact/tweet your Congressional Representative!
Twitter & Facebook Posts:
.@sen_____________will you co-sponsor SJ Res 15? #ratifyERA
.@rep_____________will you co-sponsor HJR 113? #ratifyERA
.@sen______________only 3 more states needed to ratify ERA. Will you co-sponsor SJ Res 15? #ratifyERA (Same for Representative)
Thank you @RepSpeier for introducing HJ Res 113 in support of Equal Rights for women. The time is now to #RatifyERA!
Did you know women are not granted equal rights under constitution? @______ will u co-sponsor HJ Res 113 so we can #RatifyERA?
*additional tweets will be circulated as received from participating partners!
III. How to post via Facebook
- Sign into Facebook (or create an account its easy!)
- Enter this link into the address bar: https://www.facebook.com/DianneFeinstein
- Paste the above suggested posts on Sen. Feinstein’s page.
- Use #RatifyERA when posting!
- Also, search for your congressional representative and post on their page as well!
Who is Calling/Tweeting:
- AAUW Louisiana (Host)
- AAUW Texas
- United 4 Equality
- Other state and national coalition partners